Our House

Our House
Before: House. After: Home!

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Adios gnarly tile....hola treasure!

Treasure under the tile on the back stairs!
This is the type of thing Chris & I were hoping we would uncover during the DIY demo phase, the front page section of the Chicago Sun dated Friday December 22, 1944!
Chris pulling up the plain black tile that covered the landing
Old timey movie ads


The ads interest me as much as the articles!

Who wouldn't want the Sissy Sailor hat?!?







































The back stairs will be removed completely by the general contractor; but I am so happy Chris made the move to pull up this 1 random piece of asbestos tile (kidding about the asbestos...sort of)! Somehow I feel more connected to the history contained in this section of the newspaper than I would if I found it on microfilm at the library (side note - does microfilm/microfiche still exist??). It makes me interested to know why someone would lay down newspaper over painted hardwood, under a plain Jane piece of tile. To even out the height? To give cushion/padding? I would love your thoughts in the comments if you have any!

No comments:

Post a Comment