Our House

Our House
Before: House. After: Home!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Stripping and Scrubbing New Life Into Old Door Hardware

Holy Moly. When our trim carpenters took our doors out of the house to clean them up, I kind of thought they would also be cleaning up the hardware. They would have - they absolutely would have cleaned up the old hardware; buuuuuuuuuut we would need to pay for their time to do it. You know what is effectively free? My time! My time & my elbow grease are both quite free indeed.

So here we go.....My first idea was to soak the hardware in paint thinner. Paint thinner would soften/thin the paint and I could scrape/rub it off.
A relaxing bath of paint thinner for the
hardware

Just soaking away in the paint thinner

I started with 4 trays to test out how it worked
You might guess how it worked. It didn't. It didn't really touch the paint; it was not softened, it was not coming off - it was as though I had soaked the hardware in water! See for yourself:
Yeah. The paint is pretty much all still there. Paint thinner fail!
 I was not dissauded - I knew I would prevail over the paint - I just needed a new strategy! The new strategy was to strip. No, not taking off my clothes you weirdo - that would in no way help to get 110 years of paint off of the hardware! I used a soy based gel stripper made by Franmar on the paint. After letting it sit for 24 hours - this is what the paint looked like:
Do you see the bubbling? The paint is pulling itself off
of the hardware! Or at least the top layer of paint is! 
Look at that paint - its basically falling
off of this door hinge!
I was so pleased to see how effective the stripper was on loosening/softening the paint. Now on to the scrubbing/scraping.
Before the stripper

After the first 24 hours in stripper and some elbow
grease scraping the softened paint off
Time to do it again  - more stripper; more scraping/picking/rubbing at copious amounts of paint.
Now, that is what I call green paint. Seriously, truly
make an f-ing statement green paint.

More hardware in progress....
Making serious progress after my 4th time letting the stripper sit for 24 hours
and vigorously scraping the softened paint off.
Now that I have the vast majority of the paint off; it is time to tackle the years of grimy build up on the unpainted pieces; plus shine everything. Next step was green scratchies (or scrubbies....what does your family call these?? They are indispensable! I used them with Bar Keeper's Friend to clean/shine all of the hardware. I worked really hard...so hard my arm muscles were twitching by the end. It was worth it though; check out the process & end results!
Top: after some serious scrubbing
Bottom: post stripping, pre scrubbing

7 of the 9 sets after the scrubbing - all done! Now the
trim carpenters need to install the doors so we can find homes
for all of this hardware!
Bar Keepers Friend is your friend if you
have metal that needs TLC :)
Done! Hooray!

Yippee!!

I won't lie - I'm happy this project is over!

The fruits of many hours of scrubbing

I dig the copper tone most of the hardware turned out to be

 So darn pretty

There seems to be lots of different metals in play
in each set of hardware; not sure why - but not 
offended by it either

This came out of the "miscellaneous"
bag of hardware - it doesn't match the style
of anything else - I have no clue where
the carpenters found it; but I like it
As happy as I am that I did breathe some new life into this old hardware; I'm not sure if I'd sign up for all the work again! Hopefully it will all be worth it once the hardware is installed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment