Our House

Our House
Before: House. After: Home!

Friday, July 22, 2016

Neighbors generosity prompts major yardwork

Honestly - how did we get so lucky? We might have the world's best neighbors. This is only 1 of many reasons they are the best:

Wagon chock full of 60ish hostas!

After a casual, "I'm going to be working in the garden this weekend now that school is out. Do you guys want some plants?" we received this wagon FULL of hosta from our next door neighbors. There was also sedum, black eyed susan, and some other plant that has really really really soft light green leaves. Like almost furry soft. Anyone know what those are called? Despite my efforts to turn my brown thumb green, I still have no clue what they are called!

The yard is a mess all around the house. Weeds, construction debris, gravel, broken bricks, full bricks, and the occasional patch of actual grass all peacefully coexist. Until the windfall of beautiful, free plants! I decided to line the east side of the house with the hosta and pot the rest to use once the professional landscaper has performed his magic on the backyard.

Here are the progress photos:
Before: dirt, weeds, nothing pretty

During: I dug a trench....because I thought
spacing the plants would be easier this way.

After: The hosta are in! Hooray!
After: different view
I am sad to report that 3-4 of the hosta are NOT happy. They are wilted and flat to the ground and in no way thriving. I fear they may be getting too much sun. I'm not sure though. Does anyone have any expertise on hosta? Particularly after they've been transplanted? I could have overwatered them initially; a friend told me that more plants die from over watering than under watering. I might have helicopter parented these poor plants to death. Darn it. I suppose there is a chance they could come back next year?? Tell me there's a chance!

Here's a shot of the front garden bed:

The bushy plant on the far right is the only thing in this bed that survives from our home's previous owner (or probably more likely renter). It is almost done flowering - it has white blooms that look quite like a hydrangea; but it isn't a hydrangea! Again, not sure what it is. Someday I might learn!
As I look at this photo I am realizing I should take an updated one. I've planted more in this bed since the photo was taken! 

What do you have growing in your garden/yard/community plot/pots/etc? I'm trying to glean as much from others about what they do to learn how to be better at this whole gardening thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment